Wednesday, September 12, 2012

did you ever know that you're my hero

a week off sure sounds nice right about now. As a youngster nothing beat summer vacation, and weekends were made for fun (as the song by debbie deb suggests). In my current age and occupation summer is busy as all get out, though I am still having a blast outside in the sun or shade. and weekends... rarely exist unless I am too tired or sick to move. I have been taking naps lately, not by choice entirely, a simple thought of "oh let me sit down after lunch" turns into a three hour nap. I have been totally zonked for a couple weeks, but after a thorough rest, feel sort of "normal".  Lookout weekend cause here I come. (funny I wrote this the night before I woke up feeling sick and unable to deliver...perhaps I really needed the day off)

This week is the heirloom expo in santa rosa, I hope you all can go if you are so inclined. a dramatic display of hundreds and hundreds of old time heirloom vegetables. a real treat for the eyes, nose, tongue, belly and soul. lots of presentations and speakers, some of them heros and sheras of mine. Last year was totally awesome and I am so excited about this years expo.
Lots of heirloom animal breeds too! does heirloom animal manure smell different? like roses.

This weeks box...

Red slicer tomato: Full Moon. Maybe one more week left of harvesting on the Oregon Spring beds. definitely a productive variety that we will grow again. great flavor and size for salad, stews or snacking.

Kellog's Breakfast tomato: Full Moon. After a couple weeks of spoiled fruit with blossom end rot, this is the first substantial harvest ready for the box. Blossom end rot is usually caused by lack of calcium, sometimes due to a real lack of calcium or nutrient leaching caused by over watering. The water has been turned off for a week now and seeing no more rot. yay! These heirlooms are much more sensitive than modern hybrids. Anywhoo. they are nice big golden orange with a nice acidic flavor that goes great on a sandwich, burger, salad or just about anywhere.

Blush tomato: Full Moon. gold and red striped sausage shape, delicious sweet and tangy flavour. I am really liking this tomato, love to toss them in my mouth. 

Sungold cherry tomato: Biofarm. Another mouth poppin treat!check previous posts for other recipe ideas.

Warba potato: Full Moon. Dug up this afternoon, super thin skin, creamy white flesh with pink/red toning around eyes. suitable for baking and boiling. most are "creamer" size, meaning small enough to leave whole and cook to your desire. I sliced mine in full moons and roasted at 425 with onion, garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper, oil and white wine. deelish. (dirt left on taters to preserve freshness, simply refrigerate and  wash before using.)

Bella Dulce melon: Full Moon. One of my all time favourite melons. we have grown this variety for the last three years and each year a little different. I usually see some fruits that resemble a lemon cucumber, melon colored but with the "belly button" seen on the lemon cuke. Awesome dulce flavor with the slightest cucumber texture. I detect notes of vanilla and caramel, truly a dessert melon if I have ever had one.

Red flame grapes: Dorn Vineyard. A perfect food. one could live on grapes alone if they were in season year round. a belly ache might ensue, but any active lifestyle can benefit from copious amounts of fresh grapes at hand.

O'henry peaches: Full Moon. Really coming into their prime this week. the o'henry peach. firm texture, (great for the grill), nice sugar content. ready to eat now or let sit on counter or fridge for later use.
If you would like 'B' grade for jamin' let me know, they wont last long!

Yukina Savoy: Full Moon. Yay fall greens. Autumn is my favourite time of year. We get to enjoy the bounty of late summer, with the addition of cooler season greens. first harvest of these great greens. if tatsoi and bok choy had a love child it would be yukina savoy. kind of like spinach without the oxcalic acid.





No comments:

Post a Comment